Many people believe they cannot get all their travel essentials in just their carry on. I strongly disagree. Consider how many times you packed more than you actually needed. We’ve all done it. So here are some tips for your next trip.
- Bring your roller bag, a tote, and a purse (hiding the purse in the tote).
- Weigh your roller bag before you get to the airport.
- Before grabbing your clothes & throwing them directly in your bag, lay out everything on your bed. When you feel you have all you need, walk away for a few hours. Return & review. Ask yourself. Do I really need this? Believe it or not, this little trick does work.
- Instead of grabbing a bunch of shirts and a bunch of pants, put together outfits. Keep in mind it’s ok to wear pants or shorts more than once! It’s fine, really, no one will know;)
- Do you really need more than 1 or 2 pairs of jeans? Seriously.
- Wear your heaviest items (including shoes; boots, sneakers) on the plane AND layer up!
- Roll Roll Baby! Folding your clothes creates unwanted creases & wrinkles. Rolling them, however, does not. Put 3-4 shirts or pants together for the bundle roll. Rolling your clothes also saves space.
- Roll your socks in balls & pack them in your shoes.
- Did I mention….LAYER UP for the plane ride to your destination.
- Pack your heaviest items (shoes, toiletries) at the wheel-end of your bag. This makes for easier transport while you’re at the airport.
- Ladies – stack your bras on top of each other, place underwear in bra cup & fold bras in half. Genius!
- Gents – use belts to keep collars stiff if you are packing dress shirts.
- Don’t pack what the hotel has waiting for you. That’s just silly. Hotels have just about every toiletry you will need from shampoo to nail clippers. And if they don’t, you can buy toiletries anywhere.
- Bring only what is “personal” like your razor, deoderant, toothbrush, hairbrush etc.
- Things like umbrellas & hairdryers take up too much space & you don’t need them. Most hotels have umbrellas you can borrow on rainy days. If not, buy one. Same for hairdryers. I have not been to a hotel yet that does not have one in all rooms.
- Sunglasses, jewelry, scarves & belts…wear them on the plane OR stuff inside shoes.
- If you have several pairs of earrings &/or rings, grab one of those handy plastic pill organizers. The compartments are the perfect size for rings & earrings.
- Ditch the heavy electronics. If you’re traveling for work, that’s not so easy. But if you’re going on vacation, your smartphone really is enough. Ipads & laptops are too much of a nuisance. You’ll be too busy exploring the destination so you won’t need electronics for entertainment.